Sunday, December 21, 2008

Mekedatu and Chinchu falls

Date of visit: 21 Dec 2008
Country: India
Major Places visited: Mekedatu, Chinchu falls - Karnataka
Pictures: chinchu & mekedatu

At 11:30 pm on 20th Dec 2008 Nachu a friend from my previous employer calls and suggests going to Mekedatu. What else will an avid biker in me say, 'Go go go you fool' and so at 7:00 am on 21st Dec 2008 I am up and ready to go.

Breakfast of Idli's and tea at one of the sagar's on the way and we hit the beautiful roads. The roads have been newly laid, makes me think for me. I got a powerful bike in India standards. Pulling the throttle to the max was pure ecstasy. And then Nachu says I want to ride. I have hardly been a pillion rider, that too on my own bike, has not happened many times. I can count it on my fingers I think. And so my dear friend pulled the throttle and scared the wits out of me. I was actually holding on to the back seat. He got his shot at the esctasy for 15 minutes. Then it was me all the way.

To reach Mekedatu,you need to take the Kanakpura road. Travel all the way to Kanakpura town. Just after you leave Kanakpura town, there is a road on the left which leads to Mekedatu and chinchu falls. Make sure to ask the locals for directions. The first place you will get is Chinchu falls.

Chinchu falls is kind of hidden away from the main attraction Mekedatu. We just happend to see the sign board and decided to take a shot at it. It was worth a shot. The water level at the falls was very less so we were able to swin and dive in the small pond the waterfall had made. The climb down to the pond is quite steep and slippery. You need to be careful. The pond is deep and the water is very pleasant to swim in.

At Mekedaatu, the Kaveri runs through a deep, narrow ravine of hard
granite rock. The river which is more than 150 meters wide at the
confluence (at Sangama) flows through the hardly 10 meters wide gorge
at Mekedatu. It is said that a goat could leap over it, giving the falls the name Goat's Leap. You need to walk across the Kaveri river. The water is very shallow. On the other side is a bus waiting to take you to the ravine. The scenic beauty at the ravine is mesmerising. Dont forget to take your camera.

Amazing ride.

Things to remember
  1. Ride a powerful bike/car
  2. Carry a change of clothes if you intent to swim.




No comments: